Monday, September 7, 2009

and now for something a little different

In fifteen hours I leave for a very spontaneous trip to New Orleans. The main goals of my trip are to learn a bit of Cajun cooking, wander endlessly through crooked cobbled streets, and to come back with a suitcase full of plastic beads and no firm recollection of how they got there. With a city known equally for its charm and its revelry this shouldn't be difficult to accomplish.

The past several months have been hard. I left my life in amazing Montréal to help care for my mom, who was rapidly deteriorating thanks to (you fucker) cancer. She passed away just a few weeks ago--after seven years of fighting--and I'm still waiting for the moment when I stop thinking that I can just call her up and tell her about my day.

Getting accepted into this French program was terribly exciting and horrifying at the same time. My mom was much healthier when I applied, and by the time I received my acceptance I was faced with the prospect of having to leave the continent knowing that I might never see her again. It turns out I won't have to make that decision.

Having sold all of my Montréal possessions, said goodbye to my very very close friends, and broken up with my boyfriend of four years, going back to the city I called home for five years (university and after) for just two months didn't make sense. I've been living with my aunt and uncle in smalltown nowhere, biding my time. Driven crazy by the events of the past month, and also quite frankly, boredom, I called up my best friend from high school, who just started med school at Tulane, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.

I am beyond overdue for fun, and I can't think of a better place to be going.

1 comment:

  1. Your third paragraph sounds like something I could have written. *hugs* My mom passed in June.
    And exactly, we're about to embark on an adventure. Let's do this up!

    ReplyDelete